This message is to give information concerning the agency in light of the Coronavirus issues presently impacting all of us. This is a very fluid situation, and our position is subject to change based on newly-available information. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the agency at 260-456-1600.
Site-Based Matches: We are currently suspending all Site-Based matches and Real Men Read activities effective immediately and until further notice. Many of our schools are extending Spring Break vacations and/or limiting visitors to the school. We are working with the schools and are subject to the limitations that they request. Site-Based volunteers will be receiving more information about our Pen Pal program and ways to stay in contact during this time. We hope this situation improves quickly.
Community-Based Matches: Community-Based matches will continue to meet at the discretion of both the volunteer and the Little and their parent/guardian. We respect any concerns that any of the parties may have and there is no expectation that outings occur during this extraordinary time. If the matches do meet, all parties should use best judgement and best practices for the health and safety of the match. Community-Based volunteers are receiving more specific guidance directly from the agency. If you have any questions, please contact your Match Support Specialist.
STEM Activities/Agency Sponsored Match Activities: All STEM activities/Agency Sponsored Match Activities are suspended through the end of March. We will reevaluate the availability of these activities come April. The current advice is that we avoid conducting group activities at this time.
Bowl For Kids’ Sake: All remaining bowling sessions are postponed with new dates and times to be determined. Participating bowlers/volunteers/teams will be receiving more information within the next two weeks. Dates are aimed for later this summer.
General Awareness and Safety Precautions
- Precautions that should be taken (general
- As a reminder, here is a link to CDC guidelines to help keep everyone healthy:
- Wash hands often and properly (20-30 seconds with soap and water)
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover mouth when sneezing or coughing with a tissue and throw the tissue in the trash, followed by washing/sanitizing hands
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth and eyes
- Avoid using others’ equipment/belongings
- Stay away from others who are sick
- Stay away from others when you are sick
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Utilize alternative greeting methods, avoid shaking hands